The Business Growth Hub today launches GREATer Manchester Mentoring: a steering group bringing together mentoring leaders to accelerate business mentoring across Greater Manchester. The Hub has to date introduced 500 businesses in the region to mentors that are helping them to grow.
The steering group is being launched on National Mentoring Day, and will:
- align the disparate business mentoring offerings across GM to ensure best practice is shared, creating a shared vision for what Greater Manchester can achieve through mentoring
- create GREATer Manchester Mentoring, creating a bank of 600 active volunteer mentors by 2020
- support 1000 individuals by 2020 by matching them to a mentor
The inaugural meeting of the steering group comprised:
- Chris Travis, Mentoring Relationship Manager, Business Growth Hub
- Janine Smith, Head of Growth Services, Business Growth Hub
- Heather Waters, Enterprise Manager, Nat West E-Spark
- Patricia Keating, Project Lead, Tech-Manchester
Speaking at the launch of GREATer Manchester Mentoring, Chris Travis, said: “Mentoring exists to help people succeed, whether in business or in life more generally. It can offer mentees the breathing space needed to work on their business or provide an independent perspective, acting as a sounding board for new ideas.
“There is a wealth of mentoring talent and programmes dotted across Greater Manchester, and it makes sense to align the expertise of the different offerings, establishing a clear vision for mentors across Greater Manchester to accelerate the impact that mentoring is having across businesses in the region. We welcome any individuals or organisations who would like to get involved to get in touch with the Business Growth Hub, to find out how they can support the initiative.”
The Hub’s mentoring work is having tangible impacts on businesses across Greater Manchester. Trish Travis of Staff Oldham was introduced to mentor Helen Besant-Roberts from Hurst via the Hub’s mentoring programme. Trish says Helen has provided invaluable support:
“I felt my business wasn’t moving forwards, and that I had exhausted the knowledge I had learned from my past 20 years as a business owner. I contacted Business Growth Hub to find out how I could get a new perspective; someone that could help me to think of fresh ideas and give confidence.
“The results were instant. Helen’s guidance was like medicine to get us to the next stage – she helps us to understand what we need to do, and to envision the end result. I see Helen as my saviour. I now feel unstoppable.”
To find out more about becoming a mentor, or accessing our Mentoring Programme, please contact on firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 0161 359 3050.