pro-manchester are to host a morning workshop next month to explore green growth, sustainability and how to provide the right advice to Greater Manchester SMEs.
The event, Green Economy: Reducing Risk and Reaping Rewards, will be held in Manchester city centre on 5 December.
It will cover advice on how to transform the prospects of SMEs through sustainability, covering everything from legal compliance to new, low carbon market opportunities to ensure that those in the professional sector are best placed to advise their clients on the low carbon agenda.
The event will open with introductions from leading business figures in the North West, including Mark Atherton, director of environment at the Association of Greater Manchester Authorities (AGMA), and Mike Blackburn, chair of Greater Manchester’s Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP), among others.
Low Carbon Hub
The introductions will cover the Greater Manchester Low Carbon Hub’s targets to 2020 and the role of SMEs in achieving these ambitions.
The Low Carbon Hub is responsible, on behalf of the Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA), for developing and putting in place the delivery arrangements for Greater Manchester’s Climate Change Strategy and other low carbon priorities.
Delegates will then be able to attend two of six roundtable discussions on different topics, each with its own expert speaker. The topics include:
- Built environment: energy efficiency, retrofit and micro-renewables
- Environmental policy: setting an environmental policy, environmental management systems (EMS), ISO14001 updates for 2015
- Financial opportunities: capital allowances, tax relief, funding opportunities (such as Horizon 2020)
- Meeting compliance: environmental and chemical regulation compliance requirements
- Profile raising opportunities: green claims, avoiding “greenwash” and the use of recognised organisational and product standards
- Renewables and cleantech: range of available technologies, feed-in tariff (FiT) and renewable obligation certificates (ROC) regimes and promotion of innovation.
The event will run from 08:00 to 11:30 on Friday 5 December at Eversheds LLP in Manchester. To find out more, or to register, click here.