If you’re planning to produce, store or sell food and drink you’ll need to register with your local authority and have appropriate food safety management procedures in place. Food safety rules are enforced by your local environmental health team.
What do I need to do?
- Register your business at least 28 days before you start trading
- Implement a food safety management system and record your procedures.
- Decide what type of food hygiene training is required for you and your employees and make sure it is delivered and refreshed when needed
- Make sure your premises is large enough, clean, well-lit and protected from pests
- Ensure you and your employees understand how to clean, disinfect and sanitise your work area appropriately
- Make sure you store and transport food safely, and understand temperature control
- Understand how to prevent contamination of food and ensure employees follow procedures
- Ensure food is labelled in line with legal requirements, and that consumers are not misled
- Understand the legal requirements around allergens and provide information for your customers in line with legal requirements
- Have an understanding of any legal or compositional requirements which apply to the foods you produce
- Seek specialist advice before using any health or nutrition claims on foods.