Fire safety is regulated by your local Fire and Rescue Service. Rules around fire safety will apply to any business (with some exceptions for those who work from home).
What do I need to do?
- Carry out a fire risk assessment (seek advice and guidance below if necessary)
- Implement its findings to ensure you provide adequate fire safety measures
- Address potential hazards too, e.g. accumulated waste
- Record your actions and review on a regular basis
- Consider consulting your insurers from the outset (they may require enhanced fire safety provision depending on the nature of your business)
- Make sure you and your employees understand your emergency plan and are appropriately trained
- Make sure escape routes are accessible and clear, (e.g. do not block or lock fire exits)
- Make sure fire safety equipment is maintained, (e.g. servicing fire extinguishers and testing alarms)
- Consider business continuity arrangements (how would your business function/ recover if you suffered a fire?).