Date: 3rd May 2023
Location: Manchester City Centre
Time: 9:30am - 12:30pm
Theme: People, Skills & Talent, Leadership & Mentoring
Sorry this event has already taken place - please see our forthcoming events list
Employing with Confidence
This workshop will take you through what you need to know when thinking about taking on extra help to grow your business. You’ll understand the differences between ‘employed’ ‘self-employed’ and the little understood ‘worker’ (different to an employee) status and when and how to use, to avoid costly employment law mistakes. You’ll learn what documents and contracts you’ll need to issue, what your statutory obligations are e.g. holiday pay, sick pay, auto-enrolment and the policies you’ll need when employing people. There will be opportunity to ask your questions and you’ll be provided with a complimentary online ‘HR Admin Guide’ which is full of good practice forms, templates and advice.
What you need to know in advance to be ready to employ with confidence
- Understanding ‘employment status’ (self-employed, worker or employee) and how to know what to do and type of contract to issue
- Tips for job advertisements and avoiding risks when recruiting
- Legal requirements for pre-employment checks (Right to Work etc.)
- Understanding different contract types and supporting documents (what is legally required and what else can be included)
- Statutory employment policies and benefits including Auto Enrolment Pension
- Complying with GDPR requirements when recruiting and taking on employees
- Induction and probationary periods and how to get the best start with your new employee
You’ll be provided after the event with a complimentary copy of a comprehensive online HR Admin guide to support you when you are ready to employ.
Attendees will come away with an understanding of what to think about when taking on staff, processes to have in place, standard forms and contracts that will smooth the way and the confidence in having robust policies.
The session is designed for businesses that are in their first three years of trading, who are growing their business and need staff to achieve this. Only eligible for start ups who have been through start smart or businesses in GM who are employing or ready to employ staff
- Introduction, H&S, Aims & objectives of the session
- Overview of taking on staff and why businesses should consider developing their processes to ensure legal compliance
- Discussion of legal documents
- Pensions and auto enrolment
- The importance of GDPR and how to get ready to comply
Bio of Deliverer – Jill Bottomley
As Owner and Director of The HR Dept (Trafford and Warrington), Jill has over 30 years’ strategic and operational HR experience from working in both corporate organisations and providing support to small and medium businesses. Jill is a Fellow of the CIPD and leads an award winning HR team, based in Altrincham, providing outsourced HR to SMEs.
Where is it?
Manchester City Centre