" " " " Skip to content
Northern Powerhouse European Union

Coronavirus restrictions - what you need to know


Coronavirus restrictions remain in place. Full guidance on what you can and cannot do is available on the government website. 

View the government's four step roadmap out of lockdown Find coronavirus grant information for your Local Authority

Summary of key measures

This page was last updated on 12 April 2021.

Business and venue closures and restrictions

Businesses to remain closed: 

• Nightclubs, dance halls, and discotheques 

 Indoor hospitality (e.g. bars, pubs, shisha venues, restaurants, cafes). 

• Hotels and other non-self-contained accommodation providers (except for legally permitted reasons

• Indoor entertainment and tourist venues (e.g. theatres, concert halls, cinemas, museums and galleries, casinos, amusement arcades, bingo halls, bowling alleys, skating rinks).

• Indoor attractions at venues such as botanical gardens, heritage homes and landmarks

The full list of businesses required to remain closed is available on the government website. 

Open businesses, services and venues 

• Essential retail (e.g. food shops, supermarkets, pharmacies, garden centres, building merchants and suppliers of building products and off-licences)

• Non-essential retail 

 Outdoor hospitality (e.g. bars, pubs, restaurants, cafes) 

Self-contained accommodation can reopen for overnight
leisure stays. 

• Personal care (e.g. hair and beauty salons, tattoo parlours, nail salons, spas and beauty services, massage parlours and tanning salons). Those who provide these services from a mobile setting including their own home, in other people’s homes and in retail environments (such as a concession in a larger, separate business), can also reopen.

Note: Steam rooms and saunas should remain closed.

• Indoor leisure and sports facilities (e.g. indoor leisure centres and gyms, indoor swimming pools, indoor sports courts, indoor fitness and dance studios, indoor riding arenas, and indoor climbing walls). These should be used for individual exercise, or exercise with your household or support bubble.

• Outdoor sports facilities 

Some outdoor events, organised by a business, charity, public body or similar organisation, can be organised, subject to specific conditions. 

• Community centres and halls and libraries

• Outdoor attractions at venues such as animal attractions,
theme parks, and skating rinks. This does not include outdoor cinemas and theatres, which will be limited to drive-in performances only.

• Services provided by cleaners, nannies and tradespeople who are required to work in other people's homes.

• Public services (NHS and medical services, Jobcentre Plus sites, waste or recycling centre, courts and probation services etc.)

• Businesses providing repair services 

• Petrol stations and automatic car washes, vehicle repair and MOT services, bicycle shops, and taxi and vehicle hire businesses

• Banks, building societies, post offices

• Laundrettes and dry cleaners

• Estate and letting agents and removals firms

• Medical and dental services

• Vets and retailers of products and food for the upkeep and welfare of animals

• Car parks, public toilets and motorway service areas

Outdoor playgrounds

 Places of worship (when indoors you cannot interact with anyone outside your household or bubble)

The full list of businesses allowed to remain open or reopen under the roadmap out of lockdown is available on the government website.

Activities allowed to continue

Driving Tests

• Car driving lessons and theory tests can restart from 12 April

Car driving tests will resume on 22 April 

Sport and physical activity

• Organised outdoor sport for disabled people is allowed to continue.

Elite sport may continue

• Formally organised outdoor sports with any number of people can take place 

Moving home

• You can still move home. However,  people outside your household or support bubble should not help with moving house unless absolutely necessary.

Follow the national guidance on moving home safely

Weddings, civil partnerships, and funerals

 Weddings and civil partnership ceremonies can take place with up to 15 guests. Anyone working is not counted in this limit. Wedding receptions are permitted for up to 15 people but must take place outdoors.

 Funerals and linked commemorative events may take place indoors with a maximum of 30 and 15 people in attendance respectively.


Social contact restrictions

• You must not meet indoors with anybody you do not live with
or have formed a 
support bubble with (if you are eligible), or another legal exemption applies. 

• You can meet outdoors with people you do not live with, either: 

  • in a group of up to 6 from any number of households (children of all ages count towards the limit of 6) 
  • in a group of any size from up to two households (each household can include an existing support bubble, if eligible) 

This can take place in private outdoor spaces, such as gardens, and other outdoor public places and venues that remain open. 

• Parent and child groups can take place both indoors and outdoors if they are for the benefit of children aged under 5 (Children under 5 and anyone working as part of the group is not counted in this number. These are limited to no more than 15 attendees).

Visiting relatives/friends in care homes

  • From 12 April, care home residents in England are able to
    nominate two named visitors who can make indoor
    visits regularly. These visitors will be required to take a
    rapid lateral flow test prior to each visit. 
  • Additional visiting opportunities with COVID-secure arrangements (i.e. substantial screens, visiting pods, and window visits) are also available.

Visit the government's guidance on visiting care homes during COVID-19 for more information.

Guidance for clinically 
extremely vulnerable 










Attending work/education and travel  

Going to work

• You should continue to work from home unless you cannot reasonably do so. 


• Early Years settings are open.

• Colleges, primary and secondary schools reopened on 8 March 2021

• From 8 March, students in university and other higher education settings undertaking practical and practice-based courses who require specialist equipment and facilities can attend face-to-face teaching and learning.  Higher Education provision will remain online for all other students.

•  From 12 April, out-of-school settings and wraparound childcare providers can offer indoor and outdoor provision to all children, without restrictions on the purpose for which they may attend.


• You should minimise the number of journeys you make where possible. 

 • If you need to travel you should walk or cycle where possible or plan ahead and avoid busy times and routes on public transport.

• Traveling abroad for leisure purposes is currently prohibited. From 29 March, all outbound travellers will be required to confirm that they have a legally permitted reason to travel abroad by completing the new Declaration to Travel form

View the government’s full guidance on travel 

Face coverings

• You must wear face coverings in all mandated settings.



More information is available on the UK Government’s Coronavirus Business Support website. For more personalised advice call us on: 0161 237 4128 or email us at: BGH@growthco.uk


The information provided is meant as a general guide only rather than advice or assurance. GC Business Growth Hub does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of this information, and professional guidance should be sought on all aspects of business planning and responses to the Coronavirus. Use of this guide and toolkit is entirely at the risk of the user. Any hyperlinks from this document are to external resources not connected to the GC Business Growth Hub, and The Growth Company is not responsible for the content within any hyperlinked site.