Who is affected?:
If you sell goods, services or digital content online without any face to face contact with the customer this is called distance selling.
What do I need to do?
- You must provide consumers with certain information before the contract is made
- You must obtain the customers clear agreement if you want to charge for additional items (no pre-ticked boxes are to be included in the contract)
- Charges for customer help-lines must not be more than the basic telephone rate.
- You have obligations on delivery, including the part at which the customer becomes responsible for the goods.
- The regulations do not cover package travel (holidays) timeshare and consumables delivered to the customers home
- Most distance contracts must give consumers a right to cancel the contract at any time and for any reason within a 14 day cancellation period.